Maria Yum is a Senior Associate in Coleman Greig's Litigation and Dispute Resolution team with substantial practical experience in a diverse range of commercial litigation matters.
Maria's expertise spans the areas of corporate and personal insolvency, security enforcement, banking and finance disputes, equitable claims, partnership and Corporations Law disputes, property disputes and estate disputes, and litigation and dispute work in the childcare sector.
A skilled solicitor advocate, Maria has been actively involved in and appeared in cases heard in the NSW Local, District and Supreme Courts and the Federal Courts of Australia. This experience has given Maria a proven ability to successfully achieve commercial and practical results for clients. Her firsthand knowledge of the risks and complexities involved in litigation allows her to advise clients on the benefits of achieving an outcome via alternative dispute resolution, where practicable, whilst seeking to achieve commercially sound outcomes.
In addition to her impressive ability in the dispute resolution space, Maria has a wealth of experience in corporate restructuring and turnaround work. She has had significant involvement in a range of corporate transactions, including complex property and commercial transactions and leasing arrangements for organisations operating within the childcare sector.
Examples of work Maria has undertaken on behalf of clients include:
- Acting for and advising insolvency practitioners in external administrations, including receiverships, liquidations and voluntary administrations, and undertaking advisory work or litigation and recovery (voidable and uncommercial transactions) related work;
- Acting for and advising large financial institutions on securities enforcement and complex debt recovery litigation proceedings, possession proceedings and Personal Properties Security Act (PPSA) related work;
- Winding up proceedings and bankruptcy proceedings against borrowers and guarantors;
- Acting for and advising corporations, shareholders and directors in Corporations Law, shareholders and partnership disputes;
- Acting for property developers, property owners and security holders in various property related disputes;
- Acting for executors of deceased estates in Supreme Court proceedings and providing general estate administration advice to executors; and,
- Acting for vendors or purchasers of shares and/or assets in a company or units in a trust structure, operating in the childcare sector. Maria undertook this work from the due diligence stage through to finalising and executing the commercial terms of the transaction and finalising the post completion obligations of a party to the transaction.
Maria works closely with clients to come up with individually tailored, practical and commercially-sound resolutions for each matter.