Employing staff is one of the most important things a business does. Getting the right people and having a common understanding of what is expected from the start is essential for the whole employment relationship. How that relationship is established at the beginning is critical, particularly if it is necessary to part ways with the employee later on.
The workshop will cover the following key areas:
- Recruitment: the legal do's and don'ts
- Contracts: regulating the relationship (and their relationship to the NES, enterprise agreements and modern awards)
- Is the person a permanent or a casual employee, and what difference does it make?
- Issues in executive employment contracts
- Restraint clauses
- Distinguishing contractors from employees, and the implications (including liability for super, workers compensation, payroll tax)
- Policies: have you got the basics covered, without promising too much?
- Communicating, changing and enforcing policies
Who Should Attend
Anyone responsible for the recruitment and staffing decisions of an organisation should attend to ensure that they are up to date with the latest developments. Individuals that would benefit include:
- Human Resource Directors
- Human Resource Managers
- Company Secretaries, Financial Controllers and other managers responsible for HR and payroll
- Small to Medium Sized Business Owners and Operators