With his early promotional adverts often found throughout local newspapers - directing potential clients to call R. E. Coleman Solicitor on UW8601 (a telephone number unrecognisable by today's standards), business was booming.
It was around this time, when Ralph was going through Eric Bowden's strongroom that he discovered what is now known throughout the hallways of Coleman Greig Lawyers as 'The Great Seal'. The wax seal, originally used by Governor Phillip in issuing deeds of land grants, was found attached to a grant of 30 acres of land near Parramatta to Edward Varndell, dated 22 February 1792 - an incredible piece of history, not only within the context of Coleman Greig, but Australia as a country!
Today, this seal and the accompanying grant lies within the walls of the Mitchell Library, having been donated by Ralph himself. The land in question currently houses Dundas Public School - located at 85 Kissing Point Rd.
Another interesting historical document found by Ralph Coleman in the early years of his time in Parramatta was the Abstract of Title relating to a 30 acre portion of land known as 'Experiment Farm' in Harris Park. The land was originally granted by Governor Phillip to James Ruse on 22 February 1790, then later sold to the Harris family - in turn becoming known as 'Harris Farm'. This land was finally subdivided by the Harris family, who sold 5.75 acres to George Wigram Allen on 21 July 1876.
In our next blog, we will look further at Ralph Coleman's involvement with the Parramatta Park Trust, as well as a number of early Parramatta businesses linked to the Parramatta Grand Prix.