Lobbyists Delight - $31,000 for dinner with the PM
The Australian lobby group called Get-Up paid $31,000 for a dinner with Julia Gillard at the Canberra Press Gallery’s annual ball this week. The dinner formed part of the Press Gallery’s annual fundraising auction and Get-Up are giving the prize to three same-sex couples who will now have unprecedented access to the Prime Minister at the small event.
Same-sex marriage is certainly attracting a lot of attention at the moment. A new television advertising campaign is garnering attention and Shelly Argent (OAM), the mum who fronts the campaign, has also been doing the rounds of the morning television shows.
So, will the government change its mind and legalise same-sex marriage? Can three couples change the way the Prime Minister and the government view this issue?
Unfortunately, we don’t know the answer to that - it is such a political ‘hot potato’ that nothing is certain and the law is still trying to catch up with the changing needs of society.
Just last year we saw the legislation change so that couples living in a de-facto relationship (including same-sex couples) are now considered under the same rules and legislation as legally married couples in the event of a relationship breakdown on or after 1 March 2009. This was ground-breaking at the time but there is still some way to go before the law can accurately reflect what is happening in the world.
However, some issues and questions are common to any relationship and we can help couples that are currently living in same-sex relationships who need advice on the issues relating to their own, particular situation.
- How do you protect your assets when entering into a relationship?
- How should you go about purchasing property together?
- How will the law deal with the property, and the rest of the combined assets, in the event of a separation?
- How will the law treat the children of a same-sex relationship?
- How will the law deal with ongoing parenting arrangements for this child or children following separation?
- Our experienced family lawyers are up to date with the latest legislation and its application in the real world, and can help you determine where you stand and what your options are.
If you, or someone you know, needs advice in this area contact one of our experienced family lawyers for more information.